If you plan on selling your home, it is vital you make a positive impression. Your garden space plays a crucial role in connecting with likely buyers, and helping people to feel at home in your property.
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic has heightened interest in good quality garden space, but this has long been a crucial factor for buyers. If you want to connect with buyers and enhance your chances of selling your home, you need to stage your garden area.
At The Good Estate Agent, we are pleased to say we have assisted many homeowners sell their home, and staging the garden area is vital. If you would like advice on how to present your garden to appeal to buyers, please get in touch.
The demand for outdoor space is obvious
The first monthly market survey report from the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) since the housing market re-opened provides a number of reasons why vendors must focus on the outside of their property.
The RICS survey collects opinions of agents across the country, so it offers useful insight into what property market professionals expect to see in the industry. The survey reported:
- 81% of agents predict an increase in desire for homes which have a garden or a balcony
- 74% of respondents predict an increase in demand for homes located close to a green space
- 68% of respondents believe properties with privacy and less communal space will be in greater demand
Simon Rubinsohn is the Chief Economist at RICS and he said; “There are already signs that those looking to buy a house are responding to the conditions created by the pandemic by seeking out properties with gardens or balconies and nearer green space. These and other similar features are likely to increasingly command a premium over higher-density urban locations, according to respondents to the survey.”
Gardens matter for property buyers
It is not as though RICS is the only source saying gardens matter to buyers looking for property right now. Both Rightmove and Zoopla have provided data which indicates the presence of an appealing garden is vital for prospective buyers.
Rightmove’s housing market analyst Miles Shipside said; “During lockdown people have been re-evaluating what their must-haves are, and both buyers and renters are craving a home with its own outside space rather than a flat. Usually home-movers tell us the kitchen photographs are the most important when they’re looking at a property advert, but now agents should consider giving greater prominence to pictures of gardens and outdoor spaces to attract the attention of prospective renters and buyers.”
Of course, when outdoor space becomes a common feature in the market, there is a need to ensure your garden stands out for the right reasons. You need to stand out for the right reasons. This is why staging outdoor space is going to become a critical feature in the property market.
Consider these areas when staging outdoor space to sell your home
- Mow the loan and ensure all borders are tidy
- If you have space for people to gather, consider adding garden furniture
- Ensure all border barriers, such as fences, are in good condition
- Create borders around different types of plants and flowers
- Consider adding lighting to the outside of the property as this will enhance security, safety and functionality
- Carry out repair work, focusing on paths, property walls and property doors and windows
- Always start with the decluttering and cleaning process, as this creates space and makes the area look more attractive
If you are keen to sell your home, The Good Estate Agent is here to help. We provide a wide range of services for vendors, and we look forward to assisting you, so please contact us today.