While there is significant demand for homes right now, and many vendors are engaging buyers, you might be looking to sell your home in a few years. If this is the case, you should consider steps which offer longer-term benefits.
Most people are aware of the impact of energy-efficiency upgrades, and utilising solar panels at home will help you benefit in the short and long-term.
Go green and engage likely buyers
A study by EffectiveHome, a company which specialises in solar panels, found that sales prices for homes with solar panels have risen by 14%.
Dan Graby is a Director at EffectiveHome, and he said; “With house prices currently experiencing a mini boom, it’s interesting to see what impact solar energy and benefits such as reduced energy bills and lowering carbon emissions is having. We hope our findings are a welcome surprise to property sellers across the UK who may be unaware that making energy efficient changes to their home, can make such a significant contribution to its valuation. There is a clear appetite amongst homebuyers to move to a property which is sensitive to spiralling energy prices, global warming and the environment we live.”
The study suggests the average increase in value associated with installing solar panels is £32,459. Some areas which have benefited more than the average include:
- Homeowners in London can expect to see their property value increase by £90,000
- In Bristol, solar panels have been found to add £45,142 to the value of property
- Edinburgh homeowners can add over £40,000 to the value of their home with solar panels
Lower energy bills and make your home more appealing
Going solar is tipped to help homeowners save more than £27,000 on their electricity bills over the lifetime of their mortgage.
Benefits of solar energy include:
- Solar power is a renewable source of energy, which is of interest to many people
- You can lower your energy bills with solar panels
- There isn’t a great deal of maintenance associated with these panels
- It indicates the home, and its owners, is forward-thinking
Some potential drawbacks of solar energy include:
- There is an initial cost in installing the solar panels
- Your overall benefit is impacted by the level of sunlight you enjoy at home
- Some solar panels take up a considerable amount of space
It is important to be aware of the drawbacks of installing this system at home, but we believe the positives outweigh the negatives. In a highly competitive marketplace, it is vital vendors take steps to make their home more appealing to buyers.
By placing your home ahead of rival homes, you enhance your chances of receiving a better offer on your home. At The Good Estate Agent, we are committed to ensuring you connect with buyers, and sell your home in the best manner.